Project: Shelving Unit Update
I finally added a pattern to the side of the shelving unit that I posted about a while ago. (You can find the original posting here.)
I downloaded the pattern from Jones Design Company, the blog where I got the idea from. I really love the fabric-inspired pattern an thought it would add some nice interest to the side of the shelving unit. I was not wrong, my friends.
On the left you can see that I started of with thinner lines and discovered that painting the lines thicker looked better once I got to the top. So I went back and retraced all the other lines to make them thicker.
And here’s a closer look at the pattern:
I have to be honest and tell you that I was really intimidated by this project before finally tackling it; I don’t have the steadiest of hands and the paint I used for the pattern is oil-based.
The only reason I was using an oil-based paint is because I bought it as a mistint at Sherwin-Williams for only $10. I love the taupe-y color, in certain light it has a really pretty lavender tint to it. The finish is also beautiful. However, because it is oil and because it is dark in contrast with the white background, I was really afraid of making mistakes and not being able to remove them completely. I ended up realizing that steady does it and just going slowly and giving myself the time that I needed seemed to do the trick. I will say that I didn’t find it easy, but certainly satisfying.
I still need to do the other side, so there will be a follow-up to the update!