Skip to content

Project: Desk Chair

February 18, 2011

Last week, I alluded to having re-upholstered a chair seat. It’s another chapter, if you will, in the on-going saga of getting my study set up. The chair is a thrift store find and the price of $8 is hard to beat. It had been the victim of an unfortunate makeover job, though. The worst was the stiff brown vinyl that the seat had been covered with – yuck.

I know it might not be that interesting to see the whole process of re-upholstering the chair seat, so if you are just interested in the chair makeover, here it is:

Yay! So much better.

If you’re interested in how to re-upholster a chair seat, scroll on down…

Well, first of all, I took the seat off and put a coat of primer on the frame. I took it outside to spray paint the cane back. After this, I put on two coats of Sherwin Williams Snowbound and two coats of Varathane sealer.

As for the seat, it was quite satisfying to rip off the yucky vinyl.

I was left with the seat in its original state. Often, you can put your fabric on top of the original seat. However, I took it off, because the texture would have come through the fabric I was using.

And here are the tools. I used the back of the hammer to help lift out some of the nails and used the pliers to pull out most of them.

And then I was left with this. I should have covered it with batting before putting my fabric on, but I didn’t have any and was too impatient too wait. It worked out fine, but next time I will make sure I do add batting.

I placed the seat on the fabric so I could trace the outline.

I measured 2″ all around (more would have been better, because it was pretty tight) and put dots at the 2″ mark, then I used a ruler and went around to connect the dots (I couldn’t draw a straight line without a ruler if my life depended on it).

Then I cut out the piece of fabric, turned it over and placed the seat on it. Then I put a staple in the center of every side making sure it was nice and tight.

And then I went around and placed staples in either side of the staples in the center, making sure at every turn to smooth the fabric and pull it tightly but not too much so.

A couple of inches from the corner, I stopped…

and then trimmed the fabric to make sure there would be no bunching. Then I pulled the side that I didn’t trim over the side that I trimmed and make sure there was a nice fold, then put a couple of staples at the corner.

And there it is:

Then I put the seat back in place and re-attached it with screws.

Yay! Happy to have it done. I conquered another one of my fears too. :) Not sure why I’m so intimidated by every single project, but my plan is to continue tackling everything that intimidates me because most things really are not that hard once you try them. Granted, they don’t come out perfectly and the perfectionist in me cringes more than I’d like to admit. :) However, I am sure over time I’ll find my sweet spot where I know when to just be happy with my workmanship because I’ll have done certain things often enough to know when it’s good.

Am I the only one who procrastinates on things because I feel intimidated by what I don’t know? I hope that even if you’re not that interested in re-doing chairs, you might feel a bit inspired to take on one of your own fears. :)

XO Jadyn

Linking to:
freckled laundry

About these ads
12 Comments leave one →
  1. February 18, 2011 6:06 pm

    This chair came out super cute!! And I wouldn’t have looked twice at the chair in its original form. I love what can come from cheap thrift store finds and a little elbow grease :)

  2. February 18, 2011 6:31 pm

    Great tutorial! You could of spray painted that seat LOL Course you know I love the damask print. The room is all coming together nicely, I love the colors you are using.

  3. February 18, 2011 6:58 pm

    Well done! I love the new look. enjoy your sweet “new” chair.

  4. February 19, 2011 1:52 am

    I can not believe that it is the same chair. You are like King Midas, everything you touch becomes pure gold!
    Don’t talk to me about procrastination…

  5. February 19, 2011 11:28 am

    Looks fantastic! I really love the fabric with those colors. I’m guilty of procrastination too, but I’m slowly learning that if you just get started things usually go a lot quicker/easier than expected.

  6. February 19, 2011 1:22 pm

    Wow. That is quite a before and after. It looks so comfy, cozy.

  7. February 19, 2011 4:26 pm

    Awesome job! I’m currently searching for a chair to make over so I’m going to use your instructions. Yay!

  8. February 19, 2011 5:08 pm

    I love your finished chair. It always feels great to step out and try something new and complete the project. I too face the perfectionist in me that wants to critize every project I do, ususally to myself. Your work is great!

  9. pap permalink
    February 20, 2011 9:32 am

    Mooi gedaan Jedid, het resultaat “mag gezien worden”. (= nederlandse mannier om te zeggen dat het er mooi uitziet. xxxx je pap

  10. February 20, 2011 8:17 pm

    That’s amazing! What a difference.

  11. February 21, 2011 8:54 am

    great make-over!!

  12. February 24, 2011 11:23 pm

    Turned out beautifully!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: